Travel to Paris and experience spectacular architecture, historical museums, and cultural customs that make this one of the most beautiful and romantic cities in the world. From famous cathedrals, such as Notre Dame, to world renowned landmarks, such as the Eiffel Tower, this city is rich in culture, history, art and spirituality.
Participants will have the opportunity to serve at a local women’s shelter, volunteer at a charity of choice, and attend lectures and meals from locals to cultivate an understanding of the culture beyond common tourist exposure. Enhance multicultural competence through professional development workshops and exchange clinical expertise with local clinicians presently working in the mental health field.
Counseling, Spirituality, & Service in MalaysiaInstructor’s Course Description
- Volunteer at Women’s Drop in Shelter Center, supporting staff in duties.
- Community service at charity center of choice.
WORKSHOPS & LECTURES
- Lecture class on Cultural Counseling.
- Q&A with staff at Compassion for the Family Center.
- Pre-trip education of enculturation model.
- Eiffel Tower.
- Versailles Palace and Gardens.
- Louvre Museum.
- Language: French, though English is understood by many locals.
- Weather: November-March (46℉-54℉) April -October (60℉-77℉).
- Currency: Euro (1 Euro = 1.23 US Dollars).
- Government: Parliamentary Republic.
- Religion: Roman Catholic (82%).
Course Competency Standards and GuidelinesCourse Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: Provide international experience to enhance multicultural awareness of social, political, and economic state of destination.
Objective 1: Visit historical, spiritual, and cultural sites.
Objective 2: Engage in cultural activities such as meals with locals, traditional festivities, and local markets.
Goal 2: Increase cross-cultural mental health awareness.
Objective 1: Attend lectures from local clinicians to gain understanding of local implementation of mental health interventions.
Objective 2: Attend professional development workshops.
Objective 3: Exchange mental health expertise with local clinicians.
Goal 3: Develop understanding of local underprivileged populations.
Objective 1: Engage in service at hospitals, orphanages, elderly facilities.
Goal 4: Earn CE credit.
Objective 1: Attend training.
Objective 2: Submit program evaluation.
Double occupancy room in mid-range hotel near shops, restaurants, and local cultural activities. Single occupancies rooms may be available for an additional fee.
FeesProgram fees include:
- Roundtrip, economy class airfare.
- Ground transportation to and from all activities identified in itinerary.
- Entry fees into activities identified in itinerary.
- Lodging in double occupancy room.
- 24 hour trip leader knowledgeable of local medical and crisis resources.
- Workshops, trainings, lectures.
- CE credit.
Program fees exclude:
- Ground travel to destinations not included in itinerary.
- Medical and travel insurance Passport.
- Immunizations recommended for destinations.
- Optional excursions.
- Food expenses and personal.
ItineraryDAY 1: Students will travel from ISU campus to Salt Lake City, to board flight to Paris.
DAY 2: Arrive in Paris, France. Travel to Hotel. Walk around Paris.
DAY 3: On your own or attend a religious worship of your choice. Suggestion to attend the American Church or the Community Migrant Church at Cergy – which is mainly North African. Lunch at a French Families home. Rest of day visit Paris on your own.
DAY 4: Class on Cultural Counseling. 10 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Volunteer at a Women Drop in Center. 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm Tour Paris. Class Process Meeting.
DAY 5: Class on Cultural Counseling. 10 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Volunteer at a Women Drop in Center. 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm Tour Paris. Class Process Meeting.
DAY 6: Class on Cultural Counseling. 10 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Volunteer at a Women Shelter in Center. 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm Tour Paris. Class Process Meeting.
DAY 7: Class on Cultural Counseling. 10 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Volunteer at a Women Shelter in Center. 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm Tour Paris. Class Process Meeting.
DAY 8: Class on Cultural Counseling. 10 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Volunteer at a Charity. 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm Tour Paris. Class Process Meeting.
DAY 9: Visit Versailles Palace and gardens. Class Process Meeting.
DAY 10: Breakfast and leave for Paris Airport. Arrive same day in Idaho.
Requirements- Valid ID and passport.
- Participants must be at least 18 years old. Children 16 years or older may be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Spouses are welcome at same rate less fee for CE credit.
Travel Blog / Stories
- October 16, 2018
- October 13, 2018
- October 12, 2018
- October 11, 2018