HONG KONG 2018
Travel to Hong Kong during the Chinese New Year and experience the most colorful festival of the year! This program provides a rich, authentic cultural experiences such as lectures from local professionals, traditional meals with families, and training geared toward increasing multicultural competence.
Visit extraordinary temples and monasteries, witness breathtaking views from some of the world's tallest skyscrapers, and engage in some of the areas most unique culinary experiences.
This country will surprise you from the first moment!.
Counseling, Spirituality, & Service in Hong KongSERVICE PROJECTS
- Serve at The Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Wong Lutheran Home for the Elderly.
WORKSHOPS & LECTURES
- Presentation at Morning Rainbow Lutheran covering mental health issues in Hong Kong.
- Lecture at The Lutheran Church Hong Kong Seminary.
- Chinese New Year Parade.
- 10,000 Buddhas Monastery.
- Big Buddha.
- Ladies Market.
- The Peak Observatory.
- Location: Southeastern China.
- Language: Chinese, but English is commonly spoken.
- Weather: Four subtropical seasons Dec-Mar (60°F-70°F) Apr-Nov (77°F-88°F).
- Currency: 1 Hong Kong Dollar = 0.13 US Dollars.
- Government: People’s Republic of China.
- Religion: Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism.
- Ethnicity: Chinese.
Course Competency Standards and GuidelinesCourse Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: Provide international experience to enhance multicultural awareness of social, political, and economic state of destination.
Objective 1: Visit historical, spiritual, and cultural sites.
Objective 2: Engage in cultural activities such as meals with locals, traditional festivities, and local markets.
Goal 2: Increase cross-cultural mental health awareness.
Objective 1: Attend lectures from local clinicians to gain understanding of local implementation of mental health interventions.
Objective 2: Attend professional development workshops.
Objective 3: Exchange mental health expertise with local clinicians.
Goal 3: Develop understanding of local underprivileged populations.
Objective 1: Engage in service at hospitals, orphanages, elderly facilities.
Goal 4: Earn CE credit.
Objective 1: Attend training.
Objective 2: Submit program evaluation.
Double occupancy room in mid-range hotel near shops, restaurants, and local cultural activities. Single occupancies rooms may be available for an additional fee.
FeesProgram fees include:
- Roundtrip, economy class airfare.
- Ground transportation to and from all activities identified in itinerary.
- Entry fees into activities identified in itinerary.
- Lodging in double occupancy room.
- 24 hour trip leader knowledgeable of local medical and crisis resources.
- Workshops, trainings, lectures.
- CE credit.
Program fees exclude:
- Ground travel to destinations not included in itinerary.
- Medical and travel insurance Passport.
- Immunizations recommended for destinations.
- Optional excursions.
- Food expenses and personal.
ItineraryDAY 1: Students will travel from Idaho Falls airport to Hong Kong.
DAY 2: Arrive in Hong Kong 8:30 pm. Dinner in the hotel and rest.
DAY 3: Breakfast. Visit to Rainbow Lutheran Centre. Afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Wong Lutheran Home for the Elderly, take Metro for transportation to local markets. The Lutheran Church Hong Kong Seminary lecture and dinner with traditional chinese food in evening.
DAY 4: Breakfast. Visit to Caritas (charitable organisation, a member of Caritas Internationalis, founded by the Catholic Diocese of Hong Kong in July 1953). Visit Flowers Market. Afternoon; visit to Hong Kong Financial Area, The Peak. Evening; Free time..
DAY 5: Morning by your own. Rest day visit Hong Kong on your own; Nah Lian Garden, Chinese New Year Parade in evening.
DAY 6: Breakfast. Visit to 10,000 Buddhas Monastery. Afternoon, lunch at place of choice, Visit to Ladies Market, rest of day to explore the markets by your own. Dinner in Ladies Market area.
DAY 7: Breakfast. Optional attend christian church. Visit to Macao. Long walk through the city of Macao and visit awesome places. Dinner at hotel.
DAY 8: Catch flight to USA.
Requirements- Valid ID and passport.
- Participants must be at least 18 years old. Children 16 years or older may be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Spouses are welcome at same rate less fee for CE credit.